Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duty Calls (Case 3)

2 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Duty Calls (Case 3) Empty Duty Calls (Case 3)

Post by Detective Jones Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:49 pm

When they pull up to the gravel driveway the car jumps and jars a bit. It is a old reminder to Alfred of trips he's taken before and came home from. Nostalgic almost. Matthew pulls the truck around to the side of the house under the small lean to that keeps the cars out of the rain.

Alfred is the first one out of the car looking around. He hasn't been home in nearly a year or more but it looks the same as ever, if only a little older. The house is two stories but doesn't look very big, painted on the outside with a light blue color that once matched the skies but now looks a little faded and chipped in places. The roof is missing a few shingles and a shutter has fallen off, sitting below the window its supposed to go on but overall it looks very homey.

There are lots of flowers in front of the house and around the yard in the front while the back is reserved for a large chicken coop, the birds all tucked inside for the night at the moment. Also in the back is a scattered pack of dogs, some sleeping while others chase either other into the trees further back from the property. They bark when they take notice of the new arrivals.

A little ways off to the side is a street, and across that is a wide overgrown field that was once used for farming but has long been left to the weeds.

Alfred takes everything in before he moves to the front screen door leaving Matthew and Arthur for the moment to unload the truck themselves. He pokes his head inside the house. "Moooom!" He yells just in time for Matthew to come up behind him with a box in his hands and kick him. "Shh, She's probably in bed already don't go waking people up. She'll still be here in the morning." He berates his brother. Alfred pouts as he takes the box from Matthew and goes to stack them inside the large living room before going back out to the car.

He opens the door and checks on Arthur who appears to still be asleep from the ride over. He shakes his shoulder gently, more careful to be more quiet now. "Hey..hey Arthur. We're here. If your tired we can get to bed but you can't sleep in the car okay?" He laughs.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Duty Calls (Case 3) Empty Re: Duty Calls (Case 3)

Post by Officer Kirkland Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Arthur slowly blinked awake, still groggy. He had never been a big fan of long car trips, and now he felt exhausted without having done anything all day. He squinted up at Alfred as he rubbed at his eyes, leaning over to rest his head against Alfred's shoulder. "'m sleepy..." he mumbled, allowing his eyes to slide shut again. Alfred was so warm, and Arthur felt himself curling into that warmth sleepily.

But then Alfred was shifting and Arthur tiredly allowed himself to be helped out of the car. He staggered as he made his way up the small path to the front door and stood leaning sleepily against it as he waited to be invited in. "Should I..." he yawned widely, almost losing his balance. "Should I greet your mother? Or... is she already in bed? What time is it?"

His head was spinning slightly and he didn't resist as he felt himself being supported around the waist and slowly helped up a flight of stairs. He drooped every time they stopped for something, all but falling asleep while standing. He was so drained after the stress of the past few weeks, and he just wanted to rest...

Finally, he felt himself being eased down onto a soft, comfortable surface. He felt hands tugging at his clothing and roused himself a bit, pushing the hands away from his body. "I can... undress myself," he mumbled, forcing himself to sit up and fumble with his clothing. Finally, he curled up in just his long-sleeved button-up shirt and boxers, too tired to go and root through his suitcase for his pyjamas.

"G'night," he muttered, burying his face against the pillow and drifting off almost instantly.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:27 am

Alfred helps Arthur out of the car while Matthew takes a few more boxes into the house that they would need for the night, planing to leave the rest in the car until morning. He holds Arthur around the waist trying to get him up the two flights of stairs into Alfred's old room. It's the space above the house that would normally be the attic. It's large and there are many traces of Alfred still left here. Old posters hanging up and a stack of books in the corner.

There is a desk that seems too small for someone of Alfred's size against one of the walls and a telescope pointing out the window. It's a little dusty but Alfred can't help but feel safe here. The wooden floors still creak in all the same places and the wall paper has peeled a little more but it's still hanging the same as well.

He sets Arthur down on the bed, a long, large wooden frame in the middle of the room with a mattress that has been well loved but is still in good shape. Alfred tries to help Arthur into something more comfortable but the half asleep man puts up a fight and Alfred leaves him to change himself. Instead, he pulls a second smaller mattress out from under the bed and covers it with some old sheets from the closet. He still doesn't know if Arthur would be comfortable sleeping in the same bed so he decides that for tonight at least he will just sleep here.

"Goodnight Arthur." Alfred replies leaning over and placing a kiss to Arthur's forehead before he too settles down for sleep realizing just how tired he is suddenly.

When the sun rises there is a shriek heard somewhere in the house followed by steps lighter but similar to Alfred's coming up the stairs and Alfred's door will be thrown open as the woman coming into the room goes over and leans next to the bed shaking the shoulder of the man on it. "Alfred..Dearie?" She frowns as if something isn't quite right. It's only when Alfred himself sits up from the bed on the floor rubbing his eyes that she realizes she has the wrong person.

"Oh! There you are son!" She says rounding the bed to throw her arms around Alfred in a hug that might rival his own in strength if she were younger. "It's so good to see you! Ah, I wasn't expecting you back so soon until Matthew told me you both were coming!" She glances towards the bed again. "Then is this...?" She leaves the question open not having been fully informed about Arthur or their relationship it seems.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Arthur suddenly found himself being shaken awake rather roughly. He rubbed his eyes and slowly sat up, peering across the room to try and figure out what had woken him. Upon catching sight of who he assumed to be Alfred's mother, Arthur snapped awake and scrambled out of bed, tugging his shirt down from where it had ridden up during the night. He quickly tried to straighten out his crumpled clothing and ran a hand through his hair before taking a step forward.

"Arthur Kirkland, ma'am," he introduced himself, trying not to feel too self-conscious about his exposed, overly-pale thighs. He extended a hand and gave her a polite smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm awfully sorry to intrude on your home; I hadn't realised that Alfred hadn't informed you about... ah..."

He trailed off, wondering what Alfred had told his mother exactly. It seemed that he hadn't been expected, and that knowledge made him want to pack up and flee back to his flat as soon as possible. He felt rather awkward and unwelcome, though it was certainly through no fault of anyone else.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Alfred's mother seems all too amused at Arthur's rush to introduce himself and stands back shaking his hand and smiling right back at him. She sees him fidgeting with his clothes and just chuckles. "Don't worry dearie. I've seen enough boys in their underwear in my lifetime. It doesn't phase me anymore." She moves to automatically straighten up the bed sheets that Alfred to this day never bothers with as she listens.

"Oh, don't feel that way. Make yourself at home! I must admit when Matthew said that someone else was coming along I had thought perhaps Alfred was bringing a girlfriend home but I suppose I was wr-"

"Mom!" Alfred shouts as he finally as he picks himself up from his makeshift bed nearly falling over as he trips on the sheets that his mother has yet to pick up. He goes over and puts a hand on Arthur's shoulder as if presenting him for the first time now. "I'd like you to meet Arthur!" He says figured he should start from the very beginning. "My boyfriend!"

Alfred's mother pauses in folding the sheet and her expression looks like a light bulb has just went off in her head. "Oh?" She looks back and forth between the two and puts down the neatly folded sheet on the bed going over and looking Arthur up and down. She pokes at his arms a bit before standing back and smiling once more seemingly enthusiastic. "This means he'll be around often right? Another man around the house! Wonderful!" She says cheerily before she goes back to her work and picks up the sheets from the mattress Alfred had been sleeping on.

"Although, Alfred dearie, why did you sleep on the floor bed? He's your boyfriend, not your cousin Joe. Your bed's plenty big enough isn't?" Her smile turns sly for a moment and she goes over and pinches Alfred's cheek cooing over her son and speaking to Arthur. "Don't tell me Alfie is still so prude? He used to get flustered just holding hands with girls in school you know?"

"Mooooom." Alfred whines flushing and trying to get away only to have Matthew's voice calling for her from downstairs.

"Oh! Looks like Matthew's finished getting the eggs. Come down for breakfast soon won't you two?" She says before taking off down the stairs with the dirty sheets in hand.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Arthur simply blinked at the woman, utterly bewildered by her easy acceptance towards his relationship with her son. He was glad that she hadn't simply banished him at first sight, but she seemed awfully... Physical. Just like her son, he supposed as he meekly submitted to her thorough inspection. He must have passed because she was all smiles, and Arthur finally found himself relaxing a tiny bit. He was still nervous though, so he found himself nodding in agreement with whatever she was saying, his smile becoming slightly strained as he internally panicked. 

This wasn't how he'd planned to introduce himself to Alfred's mother. Oh God, what did she really think of him? It couldn't be anything good. 

Finally the woman left, and silence filled the room. Arthur fidgeted with his sleeves, wondering what to say. "... You shouldn't have given me your bed," he finally blurted after a moment. "This is your room. I would have been fine on the floor."

As soon as the words left his mouth he winced at how ungrateful they sounded. Alfred had taken him home to meet his mother, and Arthur couldn't help but act like a complete prat. "Your mother is... Nice," he tried again, crossing his arms over his chest. 
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Alfred seems rather relieved as well. His mother could be unpredictable at times but she was almost always accepting. He didn't think she would have a problem with Arthur before he had brought him here but it was still a new thing for him, bringing a lover home. One could never be too careful right? But this was good, a step in the right direction, right?

Alfred comes back to reality as Arthur speaks and he looks over at him shrugging his shoulders. "You were so sleepy last night and.. I didn't know how you'd feel about sleeping in the same bed." A frown ghosts over Alfred's face but it is gone quick enough. "Besides nothing's wrong with this bed." He kicks the mattress on the floor. "I just outgrew it." He demonstrates by flopping back down onto the mattress and bouncing a little. His feet hanging off the end.

"She's a bug mother hen, like literally. She takes care of everything she can here, including us." Alfred says smiling softly as if remembering things. "There's a few things she can't do though, which is why Matthew still lives at home and I help when I'm around..Trust me, she likes you already." Alfred says trying to reassure Arthur.

He reaches into his suitcase, open beside him then and tries to pull on some pants while still lying down on the bed. "One thing she will get you about though, is being late for meals." He warns with a good natured laugh. "So come on. Let's get dressed and go down. Unless your still tired?" Alfred throws a concerned glance Arthur's way. "You can sleep in and I'll tell them you'll join us later?" He offers.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:22 am

"No, no," Arthur said hurriedly, locating his own suitcase and unzipping it. "That's quite all right. I'll come down for breakfast." He carefully extracted a long sleeved shirt, a green sweater vest and a pair of sensible black trousers from his meticulously-folded stacks of clothing. There was no need to inconvenience Alfred's mother by not coming down to breakfast. 

He glanced around but knew that it would be unfair to ask Alfred to leave his own bedroom. Instead, he turned to face away from Alfred and dressed as quickly as he could, keeping himself as covered as possible at all times. It felt awkward to be undressed in the same room as Alfred now, and Arthur knew that it would take a lot of work before they could reach the same level of comfort that they'd had with each other before the incidents of the last few weeks. Finally he was dressed and he took a moment to tidy up the room. "I really would prefer it if you took the bed," he said as he quietly followed Alfred downstairs to the kitchen. "I can take the mattress. It's only fair, since it's... my fault that we're not sharing a bed."

They reached the kitchen and Arthur hung back shyly as he watched Matthew and their mother bustling around, setting the table and checking whatever was on the stove. He itched to help out with the cooking, but Scott had warned him to not touch a single thing on the stove lest it cause him to be kicked out of the house. He wanted to make a good impression, but perhaps almost burning down her house wouldn't be good for his image. 

"Is there anything I can help with?" he finally summoned the courage to ask, still standing a good distance away from everything. He fidgeted awkwardly, not sure if he was allowed to touch anything at all.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:32 am

Alfred finished getting dressed wearing just his jeans and a beat up t-shirt. He glanced at Arthur and seeing his discomfort brought back all the unsure feelings he had tried to push away. Feeling like this made Alfred feel like his whole world was unstable..and maybe that was why he had come home, to something familiar and safe. However, it seemed like even this wasn't going to magically fix he and Arthur's problems. He looked away again frowning as he sat on the bed to put a pair of shoes on.

"Fair warning I wouldn't wear something you don't want to get messy." Alfred advises Arthur s he see's his choice of clothing when he turns around. "It...doesn't matter." He replies as he heads downstairs. They pass the second floor which consists of two doors, one hiding Matthew's room and the other his mothers. Then the ground floor which leads right out to the kitchen.

Alfred walks right in and hugs his mother from behind and then goes over and slaps his brother on the back. He pulls some cups from a cupboard above the sink and sets them on the table before taking one for himself and pouring a cup of coffee. He looks back over his shoulder at Arthur and motions for him to come further into the room. "They don't bite, ya know." He says giving an encouraging smile.

"Just come on in and sit down!" Alfred's mother says as she begins to put down plates at the table. They are filled with bacon and eggs and bicuits with syrup. Matthew and her sit at one side of the table leaving the other side for Alfred and Arthur. The seat at the head of the table remains empty. "Eat up dearie, you could use a few extra pounds." She jokes to Arthur.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Arthur gingerly sat down in his assigned seat, still feeling awkward. He flushed when Alfred's mother mentioned how thin he was compared to Alfred, but tried to not feel too offended. It wasn't that he wasn't strong, or didn't exercise, or anything of the sort! They just had different body types, that was all. Alfred was tall, muscular and broad-shouldered, whereas Arthur was slighter and had much less bulk. It had nothing to do with his eating habits, or lack thereof.

His eyes widened almost comically as Alfred's mother began to pile his plate high with food. "Ah... Ma'am, that's..." he tried to protest weakly, but it fell upon deaf ears. He stared at the grease dripping off the bacon and summoned a polite smile. "Thank you," he said helplessly, glancing across the table at Alfred for help.

He waited quietly until everyone had been served and was mildly surprised to find that Alfred's mother murmured a quiet grace before everyone began to eat. Arthur obediently picked up his fork and knife and began to poke at his food, eating slowly as the clinking of utensils and the quiet sounds of conversation between Matthew and his mother filled the small kitchen. Arthur found himself suddenly feeling unexpectedly emotional and swallowed thickly, the food now weighing heavily in his stomach. He ducked his head and gradually slowed down until he was hardly touching his food at all. Everything seemed so lovely and domestic, and it was obvious that this family was very close.

He just had to wonder if he really belonged in a setting such as this, or if he was simply ruining everything with his presence.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Alfred gave Arthur a bemused shrug as he seemed to struggle with the amount of food given to him as well as his mother's comments. She didn't mean much by it really it was just her way of taking care of them.

Alfred did lend a hand of sneaking bites off Arthur's plate when no one was looking though and joining in a little bit of conversation adding his thoughts on the weather and the drive down between mouths full of food. Alfred's mother having long since lost the battle of trying to tell him to talk without food in his mouth.

It is as everyone is finishing up that she looks at he boy almost expectantly. "Oh, that reminds me. I think there's a few stacks of firewood in the back. They should really be moved closer to the house." She says as if just pondering but Alfred and Matthew both know that tone.

"Don't worry, mom. We'll do it." Alfred says with a grin. He's missed home work even if he used to groan about it when he was younger.

"Arthur can help if he wants." She chimes in clapping her hands together eagerly. "Or he can sit on the back porch with me. He is a guest after all."
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

"I can help," he said as he rose from his chair, following everyone else as they all trekked towards the sink. "Might I do the dishes for you, ma'am?" he asked as the dishes began to pile up. There really were an awful lot, and he had to wonder just how four people managed to go through so many dishes. Still, he didn't want to be a burden upon Alfred's mother. He'd help out as much as possible, he decided, if only to repay Alfred's mother for the trouble he'd already caused.

Alfred and Matthew had already gone outside, but Arthur insisted stoutly that he would clean up the kitchen and attempted to coax their mother outside also. "It's no trouble, really," he said. "I'd really like to help."

Finally he managed to convince her and he turned to the sink to get started. Arthur began to roll up his sleeves and froze, biting his lip. He hadn't been thinking about the bandages still wrapped around his arms, but now that he'd remembered, he internally panicked. How was he to wash the dishes with these still on? What if Alfred's mother asked questions about it? He stood stiffly and gripped the edge of the sink for a moment before finally rolling his sleeves up the rest of the way and exposing the bandages.

As a gentleman, he had to fulfil the job he had offered to do. He could always change the bandages afterwards, and besides, it wasn't as if he actually needed them any more. The skin had healed, leaving fresh, thick pink scars down his inner arms. He wore them out of habit more than anything now, but he had to stop at some point.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:39 pm

Alfred's mother looks mildly surprised at the offer to help with the dishes but that expression soon gives way to a warm look as he nods. "Of course you can. Normally things like this are what I have a hard time getting the boys to do. I'd be very grateful." She moves separating the dishes half in each side of the sink and turns on the water rolling up her own sleeves.

She moves about getting the soap and a wash cloth and picks up a dish to start washing when she notices Arthur's bandages. She let's out a little yelp of surprise dropping the plate in her hands. It shatters on the floor. "Arthur! Are you alright? You don't need to be bothering with helping me if your hurt!" She exclaims gently taking his hands in hers and examining them. "You poor dear..how did this happen? Alfred mentioned that he worked with you but I didn't imagine it was this dangerous." She looks so honestly concerned, similar to the expression Alfred had wore so many times since the incident.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Arthur flinched as the dish shattered on the floor but quickly found his hands being gripped tightly by the woman. He gently tugged his hands away and crouched down to pick up the larger shards of ceramic. "I'm... all right," he said hesitantly, glancing around for the bin and depositing the shards into it. "Honestly, I can help with the dishes."

He paused and slowly unwound the bandages, also depositing them in the bin. "It's healed, I just..." he ran a finger down down one of the newly-healed scars, then shook his head. "It's of no matter, ma'am," he said, snagging the dustpan next to the bin and quickly cleaning up the last of the mess. "It's... all in the line of duty."

Without daring to glance at her facial expression, Arthur returned to the sink and plunged his arms into the soapy water up to his elbows and began scrubbing at the dishes.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Alfred's mother still looks wary but when she see's him take off the bandages and that he's indeed healed up she doesn't protest further on the matter. "Well, I'm glad to see your doing well then. It's a shame boys like you and Alfred have to get hurt these days helping people but..I suppose it there was ever a good reason to get hurt, being so selfless would be one of them."

She sticks her own hands in the sink as well washing her half with speed and experience. She then dried and put them away in no time and moved to pull a small kettle from the cupboard. "Tell me Arthur..do you like tea?" She sets about pouring water into the kettle and turning the stove on under it. "I don't drink it often but a friend of mine made it grow on me. It's nice to have in the colder months that'll be coming up."

While she waits for the kettle to whistle she pulls down a bag of marshmellows and hot chocolate as well. "For the boys." She explains. "I think..I'll have them put some of that wood to use. We could have a nice fire outside for the afternoon."
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 am

Arthur matched her dish for dish and soon the sink was completely clear of dirty dishes. He dried the dishes and left them for Alfred's mother to put away, since he didn't know where they went. Afterwards, he self-consciously rolled his sleeves back down and loosely crossed his arms over his chest. "I... yes, I do enjoy a good cup of tea, ma'am" he said hesitantly, feeling oddly intimidated by Alfred's mother.

He hung back quietly as she prepared the tea and hot chocolate. The scent of tea was comforting and he tried to relax his posture. She really was very kind, wasn't she? Just like Alfred. He guiltily thought back to her words about Alfred getting hurt and paused when she gestured for him to take a mug. It took him a while to summon up the courage, but he had to say it.

"I... must apologise to you," he said, bowing his head. "During our last case, Alfred was hurt... rather badly. I shouldn't have allowed it to happen." Really, he knew that it hadn't been entirely his fault. They'd both said and done things that they'd regretted, and one thing had led to another. Factoring in the culprit as well, it was a surprise that both of them had made it out alive. But still, it had never been Arthur's intention to let Alfred get hurt, and he felt ashamed for not having taken better care of his boyfriend. But Alfred was hurt, and Arthur had to answer to the American's mother for it.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:48 am

Alfred's mother pauses as she is gathering up the mugs on a tray to take outside. At first she doesn't seem to understand what Arthur is apologizing for but then she grows a hard line of expression across her face. She isn't mad at him at all. No, should couldn't blame Arthur at all. There was one thing however.

"You don't need to apologize to me. More than anything I'm just concerned. Alfred was very tight lipped about telling me what had happened. I figured he had gotten hurt but I didn't know how badly. I know he's only trying to keep me from worrying but not telling me isn't any better!" She says before realizing she might be coming off a bit emotionally forceful.

She smiles again after taking a breath. "But he's all right now. That is what's important." She picks up the tray and gestures for Arthur to follow her outside. "You too. I'm glad your all right as well. Isn't that enough cause for celebration? Two boys left this house and three came home. I like the sound of that."

Without another word she's out the door. She sets the tray of mugs on a small table on the back porch calling out to the boys that warm drinks were ready.

Outside it seems that the two brothers have been busy moving the large logs of firewood. Matthew has his sleeves rolled up, where as Alfred has abandoned his shirt entirely. Alfred's own scar marks a diagonal line down the left side of his stomach. It's fresh and red but Alfred doesn't seem to be bothered by it, in fact he's showing off by carrying more than Matthew who just rolls his eyes and tells Alfred to be careful.

When they both put down their loads near the tin shed Alfred runs over to claims his mug and it's half empty before he even takes a breath. Alfred's mother already has an extra one for him though knowing that he'll likely go through at least two.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Arthur thanked her for the tea and meekly followed her outside, feeling oddly chastised. She was talking as if she had already accepted him, but that couldn't be the case. She didn't even know him. He cupped the mug between his hands and stood on the back porch, blushing when he caught sight of Alfred's naked torso. 

He almost envied how very confident Alfred seemed in his body. Arthur couldn't ever run around shirtless like that and he crossed his arms over his chest self-consciously when his gaze fell to the livid scar on the other man's stomach.  It looked angry and red, just like the ones on Arthur's arms. 

"Don't drink so quickly," he chided Alfred automatically as he watched the man rush over and down the hot chocolate far too quickly, "you'll burn your tongue." Instantly, he flushed hotly and looked away, feeling as if he had stepped out of line. This was Alfred's home, and Arthur had no right to be bossing him around. 

It was hard to know how to act when he didn't know his boundaries here. It was only his first day at Alfred's family home and he was already beginning to feel stressed and exhausted. Arthur tried to take a calming sip of tea and stared at his sock-covered feet. 
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Alfred just chuckled at Arthur's outburst but he did take care from then on to take smaller gulps. He pulls a chair over to sit beside Arthur leaning back in the chair and relaxing.

Out of the corner of her eye Alfred's mother silently seems to eye them. She is surprised that Alfred is actually listening to Arthur. She'd been trying to get him to slow down on everything for years. "Oh, boys! I was just telling Arthur about how we should make a fire." She remembers happily.

As if on cue Alfred stands up again and he hauls Matthew out with him. They stack piles of the firewood up until its nearly as tall as Alfred himself. Then the two get to lighting it up. Matthew sprays down the wood with lighter fluid before Alfred lights the end of a small piece of stick and prods it against the soaked wood. Immediately it goes up in flames and Alfred has to stumble back to not get caught up in it but he's clearly laughing as he does so. He's done this many times and he has been less than lucky before but it's never stopped him.

They mess with the fire until it's going well. Tall and burning before goes back to the porch and siting down to admire it. There have been many nights in the fall that they had done this and Alfred couldn't be more happy than to share this with Arthur now. It was like showing him another part of himself.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Arthur cradled his mug and watched as the brothers worked together to assemble the wood into a large stack and let it alight. They seemed to get along so well and Arthur found himself thinking back to his own childhood with his brothers. They hadn't gotten along as well as Alfred and Matthew evidently did, and he wondered if everything would have turned out differently if they had. It was a sad thought, but then again Arthur wouldn't have met Alfred if that had been the case.

They sat outside for a long while, watching the fire and sipping their drinks. As night began to fall the air grew chilly. Arthur crossed his arms over his chest and shivered despite his long sleeves, but didn't dare to complain when everyone seemed to be so peaceful at the moment. Alfred was being unusually quiet, but he seemed happier than he'd been in an awfully long time.

Arthur lay his head against Alfred's shoulder as he began to nod off to the sounds of the fire crackling. He had to admit that even though he was still nervous around Alfred's mother, it really was a peaceful area here. Alfred would definitely recover better now that he was in a familiar environment, and Arthur... perhaps he could heal, too.
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:58 am

The evening was spent with quiet chatter between Matthew and their mother mostly. Alfred listened and watched the fire and he too felt a bit chilly so he pulled his shirt back on. It wasn't until he felt a pressure on his shoulder that he looked down to where Arthur was and he broke into a wide smile. He leaned back against he man slightly and rested his head on top of Arthur's closing his own eyes. This, this was what he had been yearning for. Some peace and quiet and just a little affection. He could have fallen asleep like that too.

When her other son had fallen too quiet Alfred's mother leaned over and peeked at the two sleepers. He just cuts her eyes at Matthew and gives nod. He looks as well and shakes his head. "They're both hopeless." He whispers to her keeping his voice down so as not to disturb them.

"Seems so." She replies getting up and taking off her knitted jacket. She drapes it over the two's shoulders, giving her son a kiss on the forehead and a light pat on Arthur's head before she goes to the door. "Matthew would you mind putting out the fire. I'm going to get everyone's things ready for bed." She disappears into the house.

Matthew shovels some dirt over the fire until it's down to a manageable size before he get's the hose to wet it down and put it out. He watches Alfred and Arthur on the porch, happy for them but just a tad jealous perhaps. Alfred had always been the better liked one, so it was natural he supposed that he would find someone before Matthew himself would. He stomps out the last bit of the fire before decided he really should wake the two. They'd catch a cold sleeping outside all night.

He goes over and shakes their shoulders gently. "Hey..Al..Arthur. Come on, time to get up to bed." Alfred is hesitant to stir and he puts up a fight to it, jerking a bit to sit up in his chair and batting at Matthew with his hands. "Hmm?..." He looks around still half asleep. "Oh...oh! Yeah, sorry." He moves to the edge of his chair turning around to Arthur. "Hey..sweetheart...we gotta go back inside. Can you stand? or should i carry you heroically up the stairs?" He asks with a tired chuckle.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Arthur blinked awake and peered up at Alfred tiredly. Though he had mostly recovered, he still found himself tiring easily and requiring more sleep then normal.  He was exhausted even though he had done nothing all day. "No," he mumbled, yawning. "I can walk." 

He was too tired to even blush at Alfred's affectionate teasing, even though Matthew was there to witness it. Instead, he eased himself out of his chair and sleepily collected the mugs before following the brothers inside. After quickly washing the mugs, he stumbled up the two flights of stairs with Alfred and finally ended up in Alfred's bedroom. 

"You should take the bed," Arthur insisted as he hurriedly changed into his pyjamas. "Honestly, I don't mind sleeping on the floor." He didn't feel right kicking Alfred out of his own bed. Alfred's mother had already assumed that they slept together, but he didn't feel comfortable enough with himself to allow himself back into bed with Alfred. 
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 pm

Alfred teased him about not having to bring the cups in and clean them that they could wait in the sink until morning but seeing Arthur so stubborn Alfred did what he could to help him out until he was stumbling up the stairs behind him on the way to the bedroom.

Once inside Alfred nearly fell onto the mattress in the floor ready to fall out that instant. "You'll have to fight me for it." Alfred replies not budging from where he's landed, arms over his head and eyes closed, glasses hanging crooked on his face. It was the perfect plan he thought, if he just didn't move then Arthur would surely take the bed, right?

The next morning found both of them surprisingly not woken up early by Alfred's mother. By the time ALfred opened his eyes he realized that he hadn't been shaken awake and he'd been allowed to sleep in for the day. He smiled to himself. He liked days when he could sleep in. Closing his eyes again he settled himself back down and planned to stay there for a little while longer.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Officer Kirkland Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:09 pm

Arthur stubbornly tried to tug Alfred off the mattress, but it was no use. Alfred was heavy and completely intent on staying right where he was. "Fine!" Arthur snapped, turning and going to the bed. He was just trying to be proper, but Alfred insisted on doing things differently. Arthur tried to stay angry as he crawled into the large bed, but instead he just felt lonely. Here, in Alfred's bed, surrounded by Alfred's childhood treasures, Arthur felt very out of place. 

He tossed and turned, but was unable to fall asleep. Alfred was so close, but at the moment he seemed so very far away. What had the man experienced as a child? What had his favourite toy been? Had he hoped to become something other than a policeman? There were so many things about Alfred that Arthur didn't know, things that everyone else in the house knew about perfectly well. 

"Alfred?" he whispered into the darkness of the room, but the only reply was a soft snore. Arthur sat up in the bed and peered down at Alfred. He didn't want to sleep with Alfred, but... He bit his lip and silently slid out of the bed, padding over to Alfred quietly. 

Arthur hesitated for a long moment before easing himself down onto the mattress and curling up next to Alfred. They weren't touching, but they were close enough that Arthur could feel the other man's body heat. He'd just stay until he felt sleepy again, he decided. Then he'd go back to the bed. But he suddenly felt so tired, and his eyelids were beginning to droop and he felt so comfortable...
Officer Kirkland
Officer Kirkland

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Jones Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 pm

Alfred rolls over to get more comfortable snuggling up against the warm body next to him and for a moment he thinks nothing of it, smiling happily. Then his eyes shoot open again staring at the sleeping form of Arthur next to him. He's torn between moving to give the man space or pulling him closer because it just feels so nice to have him near.

"Morning Arthur." He says quietly reaching over and gently brushing his fingers across the other man's cheek. It had been so long since he had woken up next to him and Alfred was oh so pleasantly surprised. He almost didn't to wake the other up but it was getting later in the morning and he knew that should be starting to get their day going. "Let's have a awesome day? ok!" He says grinning, but still not moving from bed yet himself.
Detective Jones
Detective Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next